Some things I’ve written that have been recently published elsewhere:
- A fascinating and personal interview with Jaap van Zweden for VAN Magazine.
- The March issue of the Brooklyn Rail is up—I reviewed Elliott Sharp’s debut book, IrRational Music.
- What makes a CD an Essential Scott Joplin Recording, for WQXXR
- At the New York City Jazz Record, I’ve got an article on the Astral Spirits label and reviews of CDs by William Parker, two complete Monk sets by Frank Kimbrough and Miles Okazaki, Kassa Overall, Vanessa Rubin, Greg Ward, Mats Gustafson, and Evan Parker.
- Catch up on my reviews at the New York Classical Review, including recent concerts from the Vienna Philharmonic, the New York Philharmonic playing a concerto for pipa and cello, with Wu Man and Yo-Yo Ma, and a Carnegie Hall recital by András Schiff.
I'm a composer and musician, and I write about music—I do that here, for the New York Classical Review, at the Brooklyn Rail (I edit the music section there) and any place else that will have me, like New Music Box and Music & Literature. I also wrote the Miles Davis' Bitches Brew book in the 33 1/3 series.